POKERSTARS LAUNCHES ‘CARNIVAL OF TOURNAMENTS’
TO CELEBRATE tournament number 800 million
ONCHAN, Isle of Man – October 8, 2013 – PokerStars will celebrate another industry milestone later this month when the world’s largest online poker site marks tournament number 800 million. To commemorate the achievement, PokerStars has announced the Carnival of Tournaments: 800 Million Celebration, a player promotion that will take place at PokerStars from October 13-20.
The promotion will mark tournament number 800 million, and reinforce PokerStars’ position as the ‘home of tournament poker’, with more than $2 million in boosted guarantees, $700,000 in added giveaway prizes, and other special tournaments.
PokerStars is recognized as having popularized online tournament play and in 2002 launched the most prestigious online tournament: the World Championship of Online Poker, which to date has awarded more than $385 million to players.
The modern poker boom can be traced to a PokerStars online tournament, when Chris Moneymaker qualified for the World Series of Poker on PokerStars and went on to become World Champion in Las Vegas for $2.5 million. In 2006, PokerStars was also the first site to host a weekly $1 million guaranteed tournament – the Sunday Million.
Other key tournament achievements:
· In December 2011, PokerStars held the richest ever online poker tournament during its 10th Anniversary Celebration, with a $12,423,200 million prize pool
· In April 2013 the Spring Championship of Online Poker 2013 became the richest ever online poker tournament festival with over $75 million awarded to players
· In June 2013 PokerStars set a new Guinness World Record for Largest Ever Online Poker Tournament, after 225,000 players participated in the $1 event
TOURNAMENT NUMBER 800 MILLION
The focal point of the latest milestone celebration is tournament number ‘800 Million’, which is to be played on October 20 at 13.00 ET and will feature a $109 buy-in, $1 million guarantee, and $100,000 given out in added prizes to random tables for the first two hours of the tourney. Satellites have already started and players can qualify from just $1. For more information, go to http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/promotions/carnival-of-tournaments/1m-gtd/.
BIG, BIGGER, BIGGEST
Before that tourney kicks off though, players can enjoy a week of $2 million in increased guarantees in the daily ‘Big’ tournaments.
· Big – from October 14-18 all Big tournaments will have their guarantees increased by 50%
· Bigger – on October 19 all Big tournaments will have their guarantees doubled
· Biggest – on October 20 all Big tournaments will have their guarantees tripled
All the Big tournaments will also feature additional ‘bubble ticket prizes’, with over $100,000 set to be given away during the week.
The REturn of Golden sit & Go’s
Following a successful and popular run during the 100 Billion Hands Celebration earlier this year, PokerStars will fire up some more Golden Sit & Go’s from October 13-19, with $500,000 in cash rewards to give away. Any player who registers for a Sit & Go can win, with bonuses handed out to random SNG tournaments as follows:
· Big – player gets 2x buy-in of the SNG, table prize pool is doubled
· Bigger – player gets 3x buy-in of the SNG, table prize pool is tripled
· Biggest – player gets 5x buy-in of the SNG, table prize pool is quintupled